1. Box Step
Comments: The basic "box" footwork is not that difficult. For a new male dancer, the challenge is getting your feet "synched-up" with the music, plus leading your partner at the same time . . . . . plus planning your "next move", plus maneuvering around other couples.
We plan to start with the waltz "box" . . . usually the first pattern taught.
Note we're doing "American Style" waltz, not "International Style".
Tentatively we'll spend about 30 minutes walking through the basic step with no music.
- American Style Waltz, Left Box (No Turn) (0:17) BallroomDancers.com
- This short 17-second long video demonstrates the 6-step box, done to 6 beats of music.
- Note: They count 1,2,3; 1,2,3; we may use 1,2,3; 4,5,6.
- American Style Waltz, Left Box (Quarter Turns) (0:17) BallroomDancers.com-- (same page as above, click 2nd thumb on right side of page)
- This short 17-second long video demonstrates the 6-step box, with a 1/4 turn. ((Normally waltz is danced WITH a turning motion; Video 1 above shows the most basic "learning version".))
- Learn to Waltz (Youtube, moshunpics, Joe Baker)
- This 5-1/2 min. video demonstrates the 6-step box, done to 6 beats of music.
- Please watch closely the first 3 minutes; watch her stepping on taped "box" on floor.
- Note man's footwork is SAME as lady's for box; they are just 3 steps out-of-sync.
- The remainder of the video is more advanced; you can skip this for now.
- Beginner Waltz - Reverse Turn Ballroom Dance Lesson (aka Left Box by Andy Wong)
- From 1:45 to 3:30, he makes some good comments about how the man "leads" the lady.
- Learn The Waltz Basic | Box Step (by Dance University)
- Learn A Wedding Dance Online - Learn to Waltz (Youtube, DancerPassion)
- Don't pay too much attention to the first part; we won't try that stuff.
- Start watching a little closely at about 1:30 "The Waltz,, Lesson1, Box Step" where she talks about "dance frame", up to about 3:30.
- Then watch more closely at 3:30 - 4:15 where they demonstrate the man's footwork.
- Note on Count "2", the man's foot (ideally) goes sort of "around the perimeter" of the box, not straight across diagonal.
- The remainder of the video demonstrates the woman's footwork and than as a couple -- watching this part is optional.
- Waltz Dance Lesson Man's Part Virginia Beach (counts 1-6) (Brett Long)
- This instructor counts '1,2,3,4,5,6' instead of '1,2,3;1,2,3', which is the way Jim way taught and which he prefers.
These videos contain more or less the same information as the first four videos, But sometimes hearing DIFFERENT instructors explain the SAME thing, often helps.
- Video 7A: Box step for beginners (Mary Pinizzotto) She shows the box step used in rhumba, foxtrot, and then waltz.
- Video 7B: How to Dance the Waltz : Basic Waltz Step With a Partner (Expert Village)
- Video 7C: Learntodance.com Waltz Basic For Man (Anderson Moore)
- Video 7D: How to Waltz - Basic Pattern - MonkeySee ((MonkeySee, Terry Dean)
- Video 7E: Waltz Lesson 4, Counting the Music, Prepare Beat 6 (counts 1-6) (Brett Long) The counting is helpful, but the "lowering" part may be somewhat confusing.
- Video 7F: How to Dance the Waltz : Basic Waltz Step With a Partner (Expert Village) The first part describing the "dance frame" is good. But beware: The man is starting forward on his R foot instead of his L foot; this is "International Style"; opposite all the other videos. (When we do this, it's a "right box").
2. Six-Count Underarm Turn
- 6-Count Underarm Turn (0:30) BallroomDancers.com
- This 30 second video demonstrates it.
- Man raises L hand on "2nd one" to lead W.
- Woman walks on "hula hoop" size circle. Man continues basic footwork.
- Do not "rush it". If W not around by 6th count, no problem. Just "pick her up" whenever she gets there.
- Waltz Under Arm Turn.wmv (7:00) Anderson Moore
- Note: This instructors and the one in the next video, go into a lot of (good) DETAIL about step size and position to "pick up" the lady after the turn; A simple-minded description would be, "Man raises his Left hand on Count 4, woman walks a hula-hoop size circle for 6 counts, man "picks her up" whenever she arrives".
- Dance Vision Anyone Can Dance Waltz (5:10) Dance Vision
3. Progressive Forward Changes (progessive, travels down the floor)
- Progressive Forward Changes (0:29) BallroomDancers.com
- (click 3rd thumb on right side of page)
- Basic Waltz - jamesandjoannadotcom (4:21) James and Joanna
- Country Waltz Progressive Basic (1:17) Brett Long
- Don't let this one CONFUSE you, it's a bit different because it's COUNTRY, not ballroom.
- But note that the country version looks fairly SIMILAR to the ballroom version, except basically they step straight AHEAD on counts 2 and 5, instead of stepping to the side.
- Note the same offset between bodies as ballroom, and you can see the man's foot going between the woman's feet on counts 2 and 5 (similar to ballroom).
4. Some Advanced Waltz Videos (just for being impressed by)
- Basic Waltz Demo (Music) by Mirko & Alessia (1:33)
- (search for "ballroom showcase waltz" to find more similar videos)
- UCWDC Chad and Shelley's Showcase Waltz @ Peach State (2:43)
- (search for "country showcase waltz" to find more similar videos